Cosy ideas for those winter evenings
Half Term is gone, and a lot of us are facing a long winter term ahead – nights are getting darker, and that extra hour already seems a distant memory! So, here are some warm and cosy ideas to get through these next eight weeks…
Sticky Cinnamon Rolls:
This recipe makes 10 buns
225ml (8 fl oz) milk
75g (3oz) unsalted butter
400g (14oz) strong white flour
50g (2oz) light brown sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
7g fast action dried yeast
For the filling and glaze:
40g (1 ½ oz) unsalted butter
75g (3oz) light brown sugar (sifted so there’s no lumps)
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Heat the milk in a pan until it starts to bubble around the edge. Take it off the heat and melt in the butter, then leave it to cool for 15 minutes
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, yeast, sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk/butter mixture. Mix it until you form a rough dough
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 – 15 minutes until it is springy to the touch. Form it into a ball and return the dough to a greased bowl. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside in a warm place to rise until it’s doubled in size. (This is about 1 ½ hours)
- Grease a 9 inch round loose-bottom tin and set it aside. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a rectangle about 9 x 5 inches. For the filling, mix the butter with 40g of sugar and the cinnamon. Spread the mixture evenly over each dough rectangle with a spatula
- Roll up the dough from one of the long edges. Trim off and discard 1cm from ends, cut into 10 rolls. Put three rolls, cut side up, into the centre of the prepared cake tin. Arrange the other rolls evenly around the edge.
- Cover the tin with greased clingfilm and set aside to prove for 30 minutes until its puffed up, and a dent will remain if you press it with a finger.
- Preheat oven to 190°C and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and firm. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire cooling rack
- While cooling, in a small pan, gently heat the remaining sugar with 3 tbsp water and stir until the sugar dissolves. Boil without stirring for 2 minutes until syrupy, remove from the heat and brush over the buns. Then serve!!